Monday, January 19, 2004

You know it would be remiss of me to not say something about the world we are bringing our child into. I am simultaneously excited and terrified for her. I believe I am, several orders of magnitude better equipped to be a Dad to this little person than my father was. I believe the same for my wife as the mother of our child. Between the new world order, America’s global domination (lets face it), strange strains of bugs infesting the world, yet an optimism that humanity will find a way one day to be at peace with one another, and live in a world where armies are unnecessary, ideologically or otherwise. I was impressed reading Bill Clinton’s comments at a presentation some months ago at Yale University. According to today’s Australian newspaper he spoke of a world where “politicians should create a world with rules and partnerships and habits of behaviour that we would like to live in when the US is no longer the military, political, economic superpower on this planet”. It’s a wake up call for all of us I think. What would it look like, this place where there was no one so overwhelmingly stronger than the rest? What kind of a world do I want for my kid? Job security? I don’t think so… to be the PM of our country (the first woman?) I hope that title gets taken sooner than her 21st birthday…. Maybe its as simple as treating all human beings with the respect we demand for our own children…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home